Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The birth Story

Ok so here it goes!!! The story of little Riehl Priestly Wade Hilliard.

On Wednesday March 10th I woke up having a little extra (gross) discharge. Well, more than just a little extra but nothing that seemed to alarming to me. I didn't mention anything to Jason because his response is , "CALL THE DOCTOR, NOW!". I decided that if it was something, I would eventually know. So what better than to just go on with my day as if nothing was wrong.

I went to school that day and asked several mommies and the nurse what they thought. The "wetness" continued all day which was also different because it usually stopped by mid-morning. Someone mentioned that it could be amniotic fluid. Seemed weird because I wasn't having hard contractions at all, just Braxton Hicks that I had been having since week 30. This made me then text Jason and you know the response, "CALL THE DOCTOR". I didn't, I went on with my day, which included a staff meeting! I was really hard, more than usual. I even had my principal feel my stomach.

On my way home I talked to Jason and of course I got that "CALL THE DOCTOR". If you are a mom, you know that you just feel stupid calling the doctors like they are going to think, "What a stupid first time mom, doesn't she know anything?". BUT I sucked it up and called. They didn't really tell me much other than to stop at Labor and Triage to do a quick test. Seemed simple enough, but I really didn't feel like there was a problem or that I was even in labor. My friend Michelle, said, "oh, you'll know" and I just didn't! Nevertheless, I didn't stop. I decided to "change" meet my fried Michelle at the gym and see what happens. While I was at the gym (yes, I walked on the treadmill and did some other stuff for an hour!!!) I talked with my friend Michelle about all this. Someone else chimed in and said that they leaked amniotic fluid for 3 days! This concerned me because I am strep B positive and leaking fluid can cause infection. Since I was already at risk, I decided that maybe Jason and I should go.

When I got home, I called Jason and told him that he might want to head home because we were going to have to go get the test done. I made dinner because if I was going to have a baby I was going to do it with something in my stomach! haha It was about 8:30 when we headed to L&T. I was all smiles and happy when we got there and they were like, you are totally not in labor crazy! I even told them that I didn't think I was but I needed to be checked for a slow leak. BUT we had to wait because apparently there were others who were in active labor! Jason was crabby about how tired he was so he napped on the floor while we waited. 10:15 the Dr. came in to do the tests. Sure enough, it was amniotic fluid!!! We asked "so what does this mean?" She looked at us like DUH, that means you aren't leaving without a baby in your arms. HOLY CRAP! We were not prepared for that at all! We didn't even have all our stuff with us. At this point we called our families...it was real!

SO, 11 PM we headed to labor and delivery where they put that fun IV in along with penicillin for the strep B. I HATE those. I made Jason stay until that was done. Jason then had to run and get all our stuff, and you got it, Jason brought the snuggie! The Dr. Came in to make sure the head was still down. I guess I was in latent labor all day. They decided to wait for a bit to see if my body went into active labor but they didn't want to wait too long because of the leak. 2 AM was the time limit.

2:15 AM they put in the potocin (SP) and left. (still haven't checked me in terms of how far along I was...)It was around 6:30 AM that the hard contractions started. WAKE UP TIME DAD-TO-BE! 8:15 AM they FINALLY checked me. I was on;y 3 1/2 cm which wasn't much progress because I walked in the door at 2 cm! The nurse said that they had availability for the epidural in like 45 minutes, so I was next to get the miracle drug! (can't say enough about this drug, LOVE IT!) They came in around 9ish to put it in. That was fun while having contractions...once it was in, WOW, pain free for me. They decided to increase the potocin. They came back in around 10:30 and checked me. The Dr. was like "holy crap, you are already 9 1/2 cm!!" She got the push team ready while I finished dilating and he dropped a bit more. 11:30 AM (on the 11th duh!) The push team came in and I started pushing. Daddy Jason was not going to look at was VERY adamant about this, somehow caught a glimpse and then couldn't stop watching the whole birth. I pushed and pushed and at 11:58 AM on March 11, 2010 baby hilliard was born!!!! 7 lbs. 3oz. 21 inches long and happy as a bumblebee! It all was a whirlwind adventure. They released us 24 hours later too. Holy craziness, let me tell you. The end result was a beautiful healthy baby boy :)

No comments: